Coolidge in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Inscription. In 1854, Ten Labors of Land (1770 acres) were surveyed in Limestone County for Jonathan Scott. In 1872, Henry Martin Munger moved his family from Rutersville (Fayette Co.) to Mexia. There he opened a lumberyard, planing mill, flour mill, grist mill and cotton gin. In 1876, Munger began to buy up and fence the entire Scott survey for a major cotton farm. Two of his sons, Robert and Stephen, expanded the family cotton operations. Robert, who patented several cotton processing machines and tools, moved to Dallas in 1885 to open his own manufacturing plant. The Munger Improved Cotton Machine & Manufacturing Co., later the Continental Gin Co., became the largest manufacturer of cotton-processing equipment in the U.S. Robert also developed the Munger place residential development in Dallas starting in 1905. Stephen joined Robert in Dallas in 1888. He became company president, director of City National Bank and trustee of Southern Methodist University. The Munger farm stayed in the family until 1920, and the family owned 22 gins in Limestone and Freestone counties.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2016
1. Munger Community Texas Historical Marker
In 1903, the Munger family deeded right-of-way to the Trinity & Brazos Valley Railroad (T&BV, nicknamed the “Boll Weevil”), linking the community to other rail markets. By the late 1920s, the Munger community boasted a ten-grade school, Welcome Baptist Church,
Munger Methodist Episcopal Church, and a cotton gin, depot, post office, general store, blacksmith, polling place and boy scout troop. The population declined in the 1930s as cotton prices dropped and improved roads opened. The school and rail line closed in 1942, and the two churches closed by 1948. Former residents held community reunions for several years, but today few historic reminders remain from this once-thriving rural settlement.
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2016
2. Munger Community Marker and Context
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17714.)
Location. 31° 47.83′ N, 96° 42.537′ W. Marker is in Coolidge, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is on State Highway 171 0.3 miles east of Paris Road (County Route 178), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coolidge TX 76635, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church of Coolidge (approx. 4½ miles away); Armour Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Hubbard City News (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hubbard (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hometown of Tris Speaker (approx. 6.1 miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Tehuacana (approx. 10.3 miles away); William Rees (approx. 10.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coolidge.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.