Winter Springs in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In the 1870's, four wharfs were built on the south shores of Lake Jessup. Steamships came into Lake Jesup bringing goods and supplies to settlers throughout central Florida. Later, railroad stops connected this area with other local communities.
About 1900, this area located at the southwest corner of Lake Jesup became known as Wagner. The origin of the name "Wagner" is uncertain and both Wagner and Clifton appear on maps. In the early 1900's, a narrow, nine-foot brick road was built. It began south of Sanford, following an old wagon trail and ended in Oviedo. It had a sharp, nearly 90 degree curve, called Wagner's curve, located near the present Central Winds Park. The curve has since been straightened.
This area was dominated by farms and citrus groves. One of the biggest land owners was Chase and Company of Sanford. Wagner had its own Post Office from December 11, 1911-August 31, 1925.
With the paving of roads in the 1920's, people moved from the farms into nearby towns and villages. State roads 419 and 434 ran through Wagner, and by the 1940's, there were signs saying you were entering Wagner. By 1960, Wagner appeared on maps only and drivers were warned to beware of the sharp curve.
By the latter part of the 20th century, farming was no longer profitable and the area had become urbanized, and is now a part of Winter Springs.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 42.342′ N, 81° 16.459′ W. Marker is in Winter Springs, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Hicks Avenue 0.3 miles west of Central Winds Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located along the Florida Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Winter Springs FL 32708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Folks Home (approx. 3 miles away); Fixed Signal (approx. 3 miles away); Oviedo Turntable (approx. 3 miles away); Seminole County Courthouses Lake Jesup (approx. 4.1 miles away); Concord Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Historic Longwood/E.W. Henck (approx. 4.5 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.