St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Boat Basin
Archaeological investigations in 2000 discovered the west wall of the Basin now under the Ponce de Leon statue and Avenida Menendez. When the Basin was abandoned in 1895, a wooden bridge was constructed across Matanzas Bay which was itself replaced by the current Bridge of Lions in 1927.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.543′ N, 81° 18.64′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Menendez Avenue and King Street (Business U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north on Menendez Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in small park at the base of the Bridge of Lions. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Plaza Building (within shouting Juan Ponce De Leon (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Market Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Florida (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Augustine First World War Memorial (about 300 feet away); The St. Augustine Foot Soldiers Monument (about 300 feet away); Slave Market (about 300 feet away); Nuestra Seņora de los Remedios (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.