Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sanford High School/Sanford Grammar/Student Museum
Sanford High School was built in 1902. This Romanesque Revival Style brick building with its massive three story bell tower was designed by Architect W.G. Talley of Jacksonville. The building is one of the few surviving examples in Florida's turn-of-the-century school architecture.
A new high-school was constructed in 1911 and the building was re-named Sanford Grammar School. Sanford architect Elton Moughton designed two symmetrical one-story wings which were added in 1916. The exterior is graced by decorative corbelling, string and bell courses and recessed round arched entryways. Sanford Grammar School served public students through 1984. At that time, the building's purpose and name changed to the Student Museum and Center for the Social Studies.
The building overlooks a park donated by the City's pioneer developer General Henry Shelton Sanford. Lush orange groves once stood on this park known as the George Touchy Park. Many of the trees have grown from seedlings of historic trees from
The Student Museum is supported and operated by Seminole County Public Schools as an interpretive center and teaching Museum for grade school students. The Museum specializes in hands-on activities designed for integrated learning in an historic setting.
In 1984 the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 48.372′ N, 81° 16.237′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on West 7th Street west of Myrtle Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The building now houses the Sanford Student Museum and Public History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 W 7th St, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Henry B. Lord Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sanford Railroad Historical Data (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Imperial Opera House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First National Bank No. 1 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rollins College (approx. The PICO Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First National Bank No. 2 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Hill Hardware Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Also see . . . Public History Center. University of Central Florida (Submitted on March 15, 2016.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.