Buda in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Community residents Elias and Clarisa Bunton donated property for a community school and church in 1874, and the building served as the school until 1939. The following year, the school was relocated to Black Colony Road and served Antioch until students were integrated into the Buda school system in 1961. A Baptist church and a Methodist church were organized in the community, and there was also an active Masonic Lodge and Order of the Eastern Star chapter in Antioch.
Antioch remained an active farm community through the 1930s and 1940s. By the 1950s, many residents had moved away in search
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16255.)
Location. 30° 5.145′ N, 97° 51.018′ W. Marker is in Buda, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on Old Black Colony Road (County Route 147) west of Cole Springs Road (County Route 148), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in the small Antioch Colony Park. Marker is in this post office area: Buda TX 78610, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buda (approx. half a mile away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Live Oak Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Manchaca United Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Education in Manchaca (approx. 4 miles away); Dr. Jacob Tally Wilhite (approx. 6.3 miles away); Boggy Creek Masonic Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); Cementerio Mexicano de Maria de la Luz (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buda.
Also see . . . Austin American Statesman article about Antioch Colony in Buda. Story of Antioch Colony in Buda, founded by freed slaves, told on state marker (Submitted on March 15, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 346 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.