Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campbellton in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Baptist Church

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 20, 2015
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Bethlehem Missionary Church was established March 12, 1825 with twenty charter members and Rev. E.W. Hallway Pastor. Landowners, slaves and the poor were all in the fellowship of the church. In 1826 ten acres of land was bought for $50 to build a church and a public school. The first meeting house was log, and the present wooden building was built in 1858. Bethlehem Church was the first Baptist church in Florida to have a Women's Missionary Society. In 1859 the name was changed to Campbellton Baptist Church and later to First Baptist Church of Campbellton. Full time services began in 1954. The church has been in existence longer than any Baptist church in Florida.
 
Erected 1996 by Chipola Historical Trust.
 
Location. 30° 56.92′ N, 85° 23.712′ W. Marker is in Campbellton, Florida, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 2 and Fernwood Street, on the right when traveling east on State Road 2. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2405 FL-2, Campbellton FL 32426, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southern Boundary of the United States (approx. 3 miles away in Alabama); When The Lights Came On
First Baptist Church Marker against building image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 20, 2015
2. First Baptist Church Marker against building
(approx. 7 miles away); Big Creek United Methodist Church / Joseph Watford Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 9 miles away in Alabama); Cottonwood, Alabama (approx. 9.2 miles away in Alabama); Kudzu Developed Here (approx. 15 miles away); Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School (approx. 15.1 miles away); The Russ House (approx. 15.1 miles away); Fighting at Ely Corner (approx. 15.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement