Dalhart in Dallam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dalhart Army Air Field
In Sept. 1942, cadets began arriving for training on the new Waco CG-4A “Hadrian” glider. Cadets honed their skills––takeoff, flight while in tow behind C-47s on 350 feet of nylon rope, holding position on a double tow & recovery techniques involving being snatched by a tow aircraft flying overhead––above the Texas panhandle. Cadets also learned infantry skills, as they were expected to serve as combat soldiers after landing.
DAAF’s training mission changed in March 1943, when the glider school transferred to the South Plains Army Air Field (Lubbock). DAAF's new assignment became the training of B-17 bomber crews as replacements for losses suffered from sorties in the European theater of operations. Cadets flew training missions over practice target areas in the panhandle, while fighter aircraft cadets practiced bomber escort duty at two satellite fields––Aux.
By early 1944, America’s strategic bombing needs lay in the Pacific and several bombardment groups (B-29s) trained at DAAF for deployment in the Pacific. One of these, the 393rd Bomb Squadron, 504th Bombardment Group–– later selected by Col. Paul W. Tibbets, Jr.–– served as the core of a unit trained to drop atomic bombs on Japan in 1945. Thus, in little more than three years, DAAF and Dallam & Hartley counties were all impacted by the evolving demands of the U.S. war effort. In Dec. 1945, DAAF closed bringing an end to the USAAF presence in Dallam & Hartley counties.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14525.)
Location. 36° 3.532′ N, 102° 31.528′ W. Marker is in Dalhart, Texas, in Dallam County. Marker is on Conlen Avenue south of West 7th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dalhart TX 79022, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. James Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dallam County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Texas Sesquicentennial (approx. ¼ mile away); James R. Fox, Jr. (approx. ¼ mile away); Dallam County (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hartley County (approx. 12½ miles away).
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.