Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Amsterdam, Berbice, Guyana
 

Mission Chapel Congregational Church

 
 
Mission Chapel Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul La Rose, March 24, 2016
1. Mission Chapel Congregational Church Marker
Inscription.
This Monument is erected in observance
of the 175th Anniversary of Mission Chapel
Congregational Church to the Memory of Rev.
John Wray
Pioneer Missionary of the London Missionary
Society and who brought education and the
Gospel to the then British Guiana in - 1808 -
and who laboured in these parts until his
death in 1837.
For all the saints who from their labours
rest - Haleluia
Dated this 19th day of June 1994

 
Erected 1994.
 
Location. 6° 14.71′ N, 57° 31.084′ W. Marker is in New Amsterdam, Berbice. Marker is at the intersection of Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north on Chapel Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Chapel Street, New Amsterdam, Berbice, Guyana.
 
Regarding Mission Chapel Congregational Church. Mission Chapel, a Congregational Church, was built around 1814 in New Amsterdam, Berbice, Guyana. Mission Chapel is located at 12 Chapel Street, New Amsterdam, Berbice. It was founded by the Rev. John Wray, and was the first church to open its doors to slaves. The history of the church dates back to around 1812 when Rev. Wray paid a visit to the Berbice slaves and was inspired to stay and help teach
Mission Chapel Congregational Church image. Click for full size.
By Paul La Rose, March 24, 2016
2. Mission Chapel Congregational Church
them. A large tamarind tree, beneath which Rev. Wray would sit to teach the slaves to read and write, still occupies part of the church compound. Wray, who served for 24 years, is buried in Stanleytown, New Amsterdam.

The church was opened in 1819 and was twice enlarged. It was destroyed by fire in 1824. The church was rebuilt in 1825, and again in 1944. Mission Chapel probably has the largest seating capacity of all churches in Guyana - 1,500 seats.

A two-story church manse was built in 1899.

In 1969 the Rev. Pat Matthews became the first Guyanese pastor at Mission Chapel. In 1978 he was honoured for meritorious service among the Amerindians.
 
Additional keywords. Religion slavery church Reverend John Wray monument
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionPeaceSettlements & Settlers
 
Mission Chapel Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul La Rose, March 24, 2016
3. Mission Chapel Congregational Church Marker
Mission Chapel Congregational Church Tamarind Tree image. Click for full size.
By Paul La Rose, March 24, 2016
4. Mission Chapel Congregational Church Tamarind Tree
Tamarind tree, beneath which Rev. Wray would sit to teach the slaves to read and write.
Mission Chapel Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul La Rose, March 24, 2016
5. Mission Chapel Congregational Church Marker
Monument in memory of Rev. John Wray.
Mission Chapel Congregational Church image. Click for full size.
By Paul La Rose, March 23, 2016
6. Mission Chapel Congregational Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2016, by Paul La Rose of New Amsterdam Berbice, Guyana South America. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 151 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 25, 2016, by Paul La Rose of New Amsterdam Berbice, Guyana South America.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 24, 2016, by Paul La Rose of New Amsterdam Berbice, Guyana South America.   6. submitted on March 23, 2016, by Paul La Rose of New Amsterdam Berbice, Guyana South America. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement