Waterville in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Fort Deposit / Roche de Boeuf
Built by General Wayne
on his march to Fallen
Timbers in 1794.
Roche de Boeuf
This particular rock island
was a famous landmark in
Indian and Pioneer days
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 29.282′ N, 83° 43.882′ W. Marker was in Waterville, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker was at the intersection of South River Road and Anthony Wayne Trail (Ohio Route 53), on the right when traveling south on South River Road. Touch for map. Back in 1930, the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission created a military trail that they called "Wayne's Trail" and designated it as being their "Route Number 7." According to their 1931 report, from Defiance, Ohio, all the way to Fallen Timbers, this trail followed Route 24 (U.S. 24). Today U.S. 24 is no longer routed along any of General Wayne's trail from Defiance to Fallen Timbers, so we can't use the directions provided by the Ohio Revolutionary
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Bowling Green Fault (a few steps from this marker); Ohio Electric Railroad Bridge / Roche De Bout/Roche De Boeuf (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Deposit / Roche de Bout (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Miamis Reserve/Miltonville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wakeman Hall / Waterville Historical Society (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Pray - Founder of Waterville,Ohio / The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. one mile away); The Columbian House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Browning Masonic Community (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterville.
More about this marker. In 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati,
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. (Submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on April 20, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.