Constructed in 1889, Crawfis College, Putnam County, a two-story twelve room brick building with auditorium, science laboratory, grade and recitation rooms constructed for $11,000 and two frame dormitories at $2,087, provided for :common branches", high school and business training. Courses included German, mathematics, science, elocution, penmanship, shorthand, typing, telegraphy, violin, and piano.
Superintendents; L.L. Harmon, Job Hill, L.S. Lafferty, B.J. Beach, W.S. Wallen, John Hathorn, George R. Miller, F.P. Cummins, Dale Richard, Lyle Burkholder, C.L. Bard. Building Committee; A.C.Hall, N. Conine, B.O. Robinson Architect: E. Zoll
In 1831, John's brother, Otho Crawfis, was the first white settler in Blanchard Township, Putnam County. They were sons of Nicholas and Mary (McElroy) Crawfis.
Erected by Putnam County Historical Society.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frances Rappaport Horwich (approx. 4.1 miles away); Putnam County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); Putnam County World War Memorial Clock (approx. 4.6 miles away); Native Americans in Ottawa (approx. 4.8 miles away); Pandora Veterans Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); Site of the First Swiss Mennonite Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Columbus Grove Municipal Pool (approx. 7½ miles away); Columbus Grove Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ottawa.
More about this marker. This marker was missing for awhile somewhere after approximately 2010. It has been re-installed, further off the road on a sturdy wood fence, instead of the original pole next to the road on Rd 5. This marker has the look of a 1950's era marker, but some markers from the 30's look similar.
Also see . . . Crawfis and the Crawfis-Emery Cemetery, Fairfield County, Ohio. (Submitted on March 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 23, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. 4. submitted on March 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.