Vogel & Wallace
In December 1878, Teddy Vogel and Michael C. Wallace bought the old rough hewn log store building and home that had been been [sic] constructed on this lot circa 1845 by Samuel Boothe. They razed the log structure and began building a stout, stone building. The newspaper gave periodic updates of the rock walls going up and giving thanks that the "wretched rookeries" on this corner were being replaced by the "fine rock business house" being erected by those "two young and successful enterprising merchants, Vogel & Wallace." Business was so good that Vogel & Wallace moved to a new location in the 500 block of Garrison Avenue in 1883. Then 73 Garrison, as it was numbered in those days, was rented by Robert Henry Gannaway, the 2nd of three generations of Gannaway photographers.
Postmaster and future District Attorney for the Western District of Arkansas James K. Barnes purchased the building in 1882 and from 1885 to 1887 the Federal Post Office occupied this building while the new Federal Courthouse and Post Office was built on South 6th Street. Gabriel Mone, an Italian immigrant, bought the building and opened a saloon in 1887. His son Joe was convicted of selling liquor to the Indians in 1890. By 1892 Gabriel went back to Ohio. After Joe Mone was released from prison he became a lifelong worker at the Immaculate Conception Church.
Fort Smith Weekly New Era.
Fort Smith, Arkansas, Wednesday, August 20, 1879.
The undersigned have just removed to their new, elegant, fireproof store corner Green Street and Garrison Avenue a few doors below their old stand and we invite our old patrons as well as the rest of mankind to give us a call and see us in our new quarters. We keep only the best of every thing in the family grocery line and try to please everybody by the quality of our goods and low price.
Thanking for past favors we respectfully ask a continuance of the same.
VOGEL & WALLACE
Erected 2015 by Griffin Properties of Fort Smith, LLC.
Location. 35° 23.314′ N, 94° 25.614′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is at the intersection of Garrison Avenue (U.S. 64) and 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on Garrison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Garrison Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1908 Reunion of U.S. Marshals (a few steps from this marker); The Fishback Block in 1872 (a few steps from this marker); W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); Marble Hall in 1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Phoenix Block (about 500 feet away); Confederate [and] Union Occupation of Fort Smith (about 600 feet away); First National Bank (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Smith.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.