St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cofradia Site Coquina Well
The 1990 excavation of this coquina block well revealed furniture fragments from the 1600s, a rarity among St. Augustine's artifacts. Most likely, the well was built in the early 1600s and filled quickly about 1670 with household items from a catastrophe, perhaps a fire or an enemy raid. Archaeologists found chunks of earthen building material, probably from a house destroyed by a tragedy.
A 1764 map of the city reveals ownership of the site by the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, a religious organization of laypersons. Earlier documents have not been found to explain the destruction that filled the well.
In 2004 protection of this rare and important site as a park became a project of Old Town Association, Inc., in partnership with the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the City of St. Augustine. Financial underwriting was provided, in part, by Celestine Vision, LLC, in honor of Aviles Street's role in "The Celestine Prophecy" movie.
Location. 29° 53.43′ N, 81° 18.675′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida Touch for map. Marker is in courtyard next to well. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Father Miguel O'Reilly House (a few steps from this marker); Don Toledo/Gaspar Papy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Solana House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ximenez-Fatio House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Ximenez-Fatio House (within shouting distance of this marker); Nuestra Señora de la Soledad (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canova-Prince Murat House (about 400 feet away); The Segui-Kirby Smith House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?