January 1936, Tom Farish & Joe Steele started building a canning factory using a lot of donated labor. The first run of green beans was June 26, 1936, tomatoes July 22, 1936, followed by spinach and other products later on.
After Tom Farish died, in August of 1946, his daughter, Maudine Farish Sanders, managed it for two years before her family sold to Joe Steele. Several years later Steele sold to Allen Canning Company. Operations ceased in mid 1990's when equipment was moved out and the factory torn down, leaving only Allen's warehouse and their water tower.
For many years this factory was the main place to work in Lowell. It fed many people either by payroll check or by no label, bent cans, sold to employees at $1.00 per case of 24. A boilerman's 6:00 am whistle meant 7:00 am clock-in. 1-long blast alerted the green bean crew. 2-long blasts called in the spinach crew. Daily USDA runs in the thousands were shipped everywhere.
[Inset photo caption reads]
The tower, no longer needed for canning, stands as a silent reminder of its life sustaining past to the City of Lowell. June, 2009
Location. 36° 15.249′ N, 94° 7.89′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Arkansas, in Benton County. Marker is on Monroe Avenue east of Lincoln Street, on the left
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old City Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Train Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lowell Postal Service (approx. ¼ mile away); Evaporator Near Railroad Track (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bank of Lowell (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Site of Bloomington (Mudtown) Arkansas (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Butterfield Stagecoach Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cross Hollows (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Also see . . . History of Lowell, Arkansas. (Submitted on March 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.