Brooksville in Hernando County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Inscription. The first colony of Muskogee-speaking Upper Creek Indians from Alabama was established nearby in 1767. British surveyor/naturalist Bernard Romans identified the settlement as "New Yufala, planted in a beautiful and fertile plain." It later became known as Tcuko tcati, or "Chocochatti," meaning "Red House" or "Red Town." It was here that the Upper Creek Indians were transformed into Florida Seminoles. The Chocochatti Seminoles were prosperous commercial deer hunters, traders, farmers, and cattlemen. Chocochatti town and prairie was their home for nearly 70 years. The Brooksville region, historically known as the Big Hammock, processed rich soils for their crops, an abundance of game, and prairies ideal for grazing cattle. Turbulent times came with war in the early 1800s, culminating with the passage of the Indian Removal Act of 1830. By 1836, the Chocochatti Seminoles, under the leadership of Fuche Luste Hadjo, "Black Dirt," chose to emigrate to present-day Oklahoma, at the outbreak of the Second Seminole War. Others chose to resist, eventually being forced into South Florida, where they prosper today as an unconquered people, the Seminole Tribe of Florida, whose character speaks volumes to humankind.
By Tim Fillmon, May 29, 2014
1. Chocochatti Marker
A Florida Heritage Landmark
Erected 2014 by Seminole
Tribe of Florida, Chairman James E. Billie, Historic Hernando Preservation Society and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-802.)
By Tim Fillmon, May 29, 2014
2. Chocochatti Marker Dedication
Location. 28° 32.44′ N, 82° 22.266′ W. Marker is in Brooksville, Florida, in Hernando County. Marker is on Cortez Boulevard (State Road 50) 0.2 miles west of East Jefferson Street (U.S. 98), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brooksville FL 34601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Anthony the Abbot Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Chinsegut Hill (approx. 5.2 miles away); Spring Lake Community Center (approx. 5.3 miles away); Saint Stanislaus Chapel (approx. 7.7 miles away); Townsend House Church & Cemetery (approx. 8½ miles away); Trilby Cemetery (approx. 11.1 miles away); The Great Train Wreck of 1956 (approx. 11.6 miles away); Blanton Methodist Church (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brooksville.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.