Throckmorton in Throckmorton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created January 13, 1858
Organized March 18, 1879
Named in honor of
Dr. William Edward Throckmorton
1795 - 1843
A Revolutionary soldier
Father of James Webb Throckmorton,
who became Governor of Texas
County Seat, Throckmorton
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 5485.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 11.602′ N, 99° 10.628′ W. Marker is in Throckmorton, Texas, in Throckmorton County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Minter Avenue (U.S. 283) and Texas Highway 79, on the right when traveling north on N. Minter Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Throckmorton TX 76483, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Throckmorton County Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Great Western Trail (approx. one mile away); Throckmorton County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); Camp Cooper, C.S.A. Throckmorton County Jail (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Great Western Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Bush Knob Massacre (approx. 7 miles away); Site of the Principal Village of the Comanche Indian Reserve (approx. 12Ĺ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Throckmorton.
Also see . . . Throckmorton County. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 27, 2016.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.