Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Throckmorton in Throckmorton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Throckmorton County Courthouse

 
 
Throckmorton County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
1. Throckmorton County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The Texas Legislature created Throckmorton County—named for pioneer doctor William E. Throckmorton—in 1858, with organization delayed until 1879. F.E. Conrad donated land for the town square and built a frame courthouse on this site. The firm of Martin, Byrne and Johnson designed this 1890-93 courthouse built by J.L. Dewees and Jacob Rath. The two-story Italianate-style building features polychromatic walls of quarried sandstone, quoins, pilasters, horizontal bands, arched doors and windows and a mansard roof with brackets, pediments and a square cupola. A matching annex was built in 1938.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008

 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15081.)
 
Location. 33° 10.734′ N, 99° 10.65′ W. Marker is in Throckmorton, Texas, in Throckmorton County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Minter Avenue (U.S. 283) and W. Chesnut Street (U.S. 380), on the left when traveling north on N. Minter Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located along the east sidewalk of the grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Throckmorton TX 76483, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured
Throckmorton County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
2. Throckmorton County Courthouse Marker
as the crow flies. Camp Cooper, C.S.A. (a few steps from this marker); Throckmorton County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Great Western Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Throckmorton County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Throckmorton County (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Great Western Trail (approx. 2.7 miles away); Bush Knob Massacre (approx. 6 miles away); Site of the Principal Village of the Comanche Indian Reserve (approx. 11˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Throckmorton.
 
Also see . . .
1. Throckmorton County Courthouse. From texasescapes.com. (Submitted on March 27, 2016.) 

2. Throckmorton County Courthouse Restoration. A Facebook page with a timeline and photographs of the recent restoration. (Submitted on March 27, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Throckmorton County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
3. Throckmorton County Courthouse
Marker is on left side of flagpole
Nearby Sesquicentennial Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
4. Nearby Sesquicentennial Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement