Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead

 
 
Indian Green McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Baker, March 23, 2016
1. Indian Green McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker
Inscription.
Indian Green
This area of western Hancock County is a part of the Maumee River Watershed known as "Indian Green." Wyandot Indians chose this area for hunting and ceremonial grounds along the Blanchard River in the 1700s because it was next to the river, yet high enough to avoid frequent flooding. One-half mile east of this location is a Liberty Township cemetery. It is located upon a sand ridge once used as a burial ground by Indians, hence the name "Indian Green."

McKinnis-Litenberg Farmstead
This early Hancock County home was originally built in 1847 by Charles and Mary McKinnis, who first moved here in 1822 from Ross County, Ohio. The vernacular Greek Revival architectural style of the farmhouse is typical for northwest Ohio during this period. Owing to its remote location, the pine frame constructed English three-bay barn, reconstructed in the 1990s, and clapboard-sided farmhouse served many of the needs for the family and livestock. This farmstead was donated to the Hancock Park District in 1985 for historic preservation and educational purposes.
 
Erected 2009 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, Hancock Park District, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-32.)
 
Marker series. This

Indian Green McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Baker, March 23, 2016
2. Indian Green McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker
marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 3.561′ N, 83° 45.858′ W. Marker is near Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on U.S. 224. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village of McComb (approx. 3.4 miles away); St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); McComb First Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); McComb Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); McComb (approx. 3.8 miles away); William Bensinger and John R. Porter (approx. 3.8 miles away); World War I and II Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Great Karg Gas Well January 20 1886 (approx. 5.8 miles away).
 
Categories. AgricultureAnthropologyNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Indian Green McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Baker, March 23, 2016
3. Indian Green McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker
Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 2, 2016
4. Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead Marker
Small old cemetery, just east of the marker, The sand ridge along the Blanchard River used since ancient times as a burial ground. This IS the "Indian Green". Looking south east.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio.   4. submitted on April 6, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement