Near Morse in Hansford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Zulu Stockade
(9/10 mi. N.)
The stockade, located in Indian-infested country, was fittingly named for the fierce Zulu tribe of Africa. It began as a buffalo camp which crack hunters Jim and Bob Cator (from England) had made the first permanent Panhandle residence at Christmas, 1873.
In 1876 Zulu became a major depot on the Ft. Dodge-Ft. Bascom military road, and it eventually received a post office contract. It was finally abandoned, 1912.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4867.)
Location. 36° 7.503′ N, 101° 28.126′ W. Marker is near Morse, Texas, in Hansford County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 520 1½ miles west of Texas Highway 136, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morse TX 79062, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Cator Buffalo Camp (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Farwell (approx. 10.1 miles away); Dodge City-Tascosa Trail Site of Hansford County Courthouse (approx. 10.8 miles away); Hansford Cemetery (approx. 10.9 miles away); Gruver Cemetery (approx. 11.2 miles away); Drift Fence (approx. 12.7 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.