Near Gruver in Hansford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for early surveyor John V. Farwell and members of his family, Chicago department store executives who operated XIT Ranch in this and 9 other counties - their fee in payment for building of the Texas State Capitol, 1882-86.
Stones here are from the casing of a 200 foot well dug by hand to supply water to the town.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3727.)
Location. 36° 14.969′ N, 101° 22.524′ W. Marker is near Gruver, Texas, in Hansford County. Marker is on State Highway 15 2.1 miles east of State Highway 136, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gruver TX 79040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gruver Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dodge City-Tascosa Trail (approx. Site of Hansford County Courthouse (approx. 5.7 miles away); Hansford Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Site of Cator Buffalo Camp (approx. 8½ miles away); Site of Old Zulu Stockade (approx. 10.1 miles away); Lindberghs Land at Spearman (approx. 10.3 miles away); Santa Fe Railroad Stationmaster's House (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gruver.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.