Near Milford Center in Union County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Culbertson Covered Bridge / Reuben L. Partridge (1823- 1900) Bridge Builder
Culbertson Covered Bridge was built in 1872-1873 by Reuben L. Partridge at a cost of $1,375, using his "Partridge Block" truss design. This bridge was originally constructed across Treacle's Creek on State Route 4, south of Milford Center. In 1921, the bridge was replaced, but the wooden superstructure was saved for reuse for a new bridge on Winget Road. The bridge was put into place in 1922 on abutments built by Reed & Snyder. In 1988, Union County employees rehabilitated the bridge by installing wood girders inside the wood trusses and suspended the floor from the girders. The Partridge trusses currently carry only the weight of the original bridge. The steel piers under the bridge are not original.
Reuben L. Partridge was born on September 10, 1823, in Wilmington, New York. He came to Marysville, Ohio in 1836 where he learned wagon and carriage making and later operated a carpentry and furniture business. As early as 1855 he began building bridges and patented his own wood truss design in 1872, which was used in many of his covered bridges. Over the next 45 years Partridge constructed hundreds of bridges throughout Ohio. He joined the Columbus Bridge Company in 1886, which built iron and wood bridges
Erected 2011 by Union County Commissioners Union County Convention and Visitors Bureau The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14- 80.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 8.289′ N, 83° 27.162′ W. Marker is near Milford Center, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is on Winget Road (County Route 62), in the median. Touch for map. Winget Road runs east from Homer Road (86). Homer Road cuts southeast from St Rt 4, just north of itís intersection with US 36, about 3 miles south of Milford Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21945 Winget Rd, Milford Center OH 43045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bigelow Bridge / The Darby Plains (approx. 2.1 miles away); Union Township Civil War Monument (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Union Township Civil War Monument (approx. 3 miles away); Milford Center Veterans Memorial Bridgeport / Bridgeport Iron Bridge (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #2 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #3 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #1 (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford Center.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 29, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.