Spearman in Hansford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected 1967. (Marker Number 5005.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 36° 12.013′ N, 101° 11.547′ W. Marker was in Spearman, Texas, in Hansford County. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 502 South Davis Street, Spearman TX 79081, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Brandt Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert E. (Bob) Martin (about 700 feet away); Brick Streets of Spearman (about 700 feet away); Spearman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santa Fe Railroad Stationmaster's House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lindberghs Land at Spearman Hansford County (approx. 2.7 miles away); Hansford Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spearman.
Also see . . . High Plains Observer. Spearman Hotel--Hansford County Historical Markers No. 13, for photos of the hotel. (Submitted on March 30, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
The Historical Marker and the building are gone.................
Mr. Dacus managed the Hotel until it was sold to H.M. Wiley in 1924. Mr. Wiley sold it to J.C. Lee, February 22, 1930, Lee to R.H. Cooke, February 2, 1933; et al sold it to Sid Beck.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy L. Bulls bought the Hotel form Don Cates in 1977 and renovated the building and gave it its Texas Historical Marker. The old hotel fell into disrepair and the marker was removed – It is believed that the owners took the marker with them. Later the building was burned in a controlled fire by the Spearman Volunteer Fire Department – cir. 2007
— Submitted March 30, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.