Near Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Brady's Island / to Fort Miami
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
—Harrison's March —
Text on West Side :
March • 1813
- - - - -
Text on East Side :
March • 1813
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A125.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 32.444′ N, 83° 34.839′ W. Marker was near Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker was on Fremont Pike (U.S. 20) east of Thompson Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Nothing remains of this marker, but according to my vehicle's odometer this marker's probable site is exactly 5.9 miles east of the site of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker for Fort Miami. Marker was at or near this postal address: 9633 Fremont Pike, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, The Maumee and Western Reserve Road / Turnpike Milestones (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old Wood County Jail (approx. 2.8 miles away); Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry (approx. 2.9 miles away); Perrysburg / Perrysburg Plat Map (approx. 2.9 miles away); History Happened Here (approx. 2.9 miles away); A Strategic Location (approx. 3.2 miles away); Running a Gauntlet (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fort Miamis During the War of 1812 (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites,
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, A125, which is listed on page 66 of the 1931, Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's Planning Report.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on March 31, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on March 31, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 31, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System Markers
This particular Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC), Type A marker, once helped to mark the military marches of General Harrison during the War of 1812. According to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report (see page 57), it was used on the portion of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System that connected Fort Meigs to Fremont. According to the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trails cartographic map, that was issued by the ORMC in 1930, this marker was situated along the roadway that in 1930 was US 20, and today, this roadway remains as US 20, but it is a much improved US 20.
Back in 1930, when this marker was originally erected, US 20 was most likely a two lane roadway, whereas today, it is a four lane highway.
Along some portions of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
— Submitted March 31, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.