Near Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Settlement west of here was avoided due to fear of the Penatekas. By the 1840s, Texas Rangers had some success against the Comanches and in 1855, the U.S. Army’s Second Cavalry reduced raiding in the area; the division had outposts at Camp Verde and Camp Ives in Kerr county. Some of the Penateka Comanches were moved a year earlier to a reservation in what is now Throckmorton County; the group was later moved to the Indian Territory (Oklahoma).
Other Penatekas continued to raid the county sporadically through the 1870s. After the Red River War (1874-75), the Comanches were forced onto a reservation established by the 1867 Treaty of Medicine Lodge Creek. Reservation life changed the entire societal structure for the formerly nomadic Comanches. In 1901, their reservation was broken up into allotments, and as many moved away in following years, the group dispersed. In the 1960s, the Comanches worked to rebuild
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16257.)
Location. 29° 53.602′ N, 99° 6.302′ W. Marker is near Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Bandera Highway (State Highway 173) and East Verde Creek Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in picnic area of Camp Verde Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 285 E Verde Cr Rd, Center Point TX 78010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. One Mile to Ruins of Camp Verde (a few steps from this marker); Bandera Pass (approx. 2.4 miles away); Treue Der Union Monument (approx. 12.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Comanche Indian article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on April 1, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 4,800 times since then and 145 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.