Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain
The first "no bet meet" commenced on November 6, 1929. In 1933, the Texas Legislature passed the state's parimutuel racing law. In anticipation of a long tradition of legal wagering in Texas, Waggoner invested another $1 million enlarging the facility. The legendary Ben Jones was a trainer at Arlington Downs and Waggoner's contract jockey, Tommy May, was joined by popular jockeys Eddie Arcaro, George Woolf, Buddy Haas, George Seabo, and Johnny Longden.
In 1937, the state legislature repealed the parimutuel laws, which led to the demise of Arlington Downs Racetrack. This concrete water fountain
Erected 2014 by City of Arlington, Texas.
Location. 32° 44.667′ N, 97° 4.118′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of Six Flags Drive and Commerce Drive, on the right when traveling north on Six Flags Drive. Touch for map. This marker stands next to the fountain mentioned, next to the entrance to a parking lot. At the time of this posting, Everman College occupies the property. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Six Flags Dr, Arlington TX 76011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack (approx. ¼ mile away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 2.1 miles away); Houston Hitching Block (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 2.3 miles away); Arlington Post Office (approx. 2.4 miles away); LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M. (approx. 2½ miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jesse Chisholm (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Also see . . . Arlington Downs (Submitted on April 4, 2016.)
Categories. • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.