Booker in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A local cemetery became necessary as the community grew. In 1925, Harry Herbert and Mary Agnes (Mullinex) Mitchell donated land to the town for use as a graveyard. In 1929, the City of Booker dedicated the land as Heart Cemetery; the name comes from its heart-shaped design. Historically, the burial ground has also been known as Booker Cemetery.
The earliest marked grave is that of Y.E. Winn (d. 1911), reinterred here from his original burial site in Missouri. Notable gravesites include those of the town's first physician, Dr. I.T. Smith; businessman William Vernon Shouse, who was involved in oil, real estate and manufacturing; and the property donors, the Mitchells. Community doctors, teachers, ministers, farmers, ranchers and other residents are also buried here. Other graves include veterans of military
In 1966, a park and cemetery board formed to oversee the property. The board dissolved in 1975, leaving the operation under the direction of the City of Booker, which still cares for the burial ground. Heart Cemetery continues to serve the community of Booker and the surrounding area, chronicling the lives of residents dating to the pioneer days of settlement.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13861.)
Location. 36° 26.015′ N, 100° 31.764′ W. Marker is in Booker, Texas, in Lipscomb County. Marker is on State Highway 23 1½ miles south of State Highway 15, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Booker TX 79005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Booker (approx. 1½ miles away); Route of Jones and Plummer Trail (approx. 1½ miles away); No Man's Land (approx. 4.7 miles away in Oklahoma); Darrouzett Cemetery (approx. 10.6 miles away); Site of the Trading Post (approx. 17 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.