Near Newcastle in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Military Road (Fort Belknap - San Antonio)
Connecting Fort Belknap and San Antonio. Blazed in 1851 by Lieutenant Francis T. Bryan of the U.S. Army. Traveled by troops, supply trains and frontier settlers.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3376.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 8.987′ N, 98° 44.479′ W. Marker is near Newcastle, Texas, in Young County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 61 south of Thompson Road. Touch for map. Marker is located inside Fort Belknap park near the southern wall of the park grounds; the above directions are to the entrance of the park. Marker is in this post office area: Newcastle TX 76372, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Belknap Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel William C. Young (about 300 feet away); A Military Road (Fort Belknap - Fort Worth) (about 400 feet away); The Butterfield Overland Stages (about 400 feet away); Military Road (Fort Belknap - Fort Phantom Hill) Tonkawa Scouts, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away); Major Robert S. Neighbors (about 600 feet away); Camp Belknap, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newcastle.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.