Coraopolis in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Vance constructed a blockhouse, and later a stockade, for the protection of settlers moving westward from Pittsburgh (blockhouse circa 1759-1765). The fort and the hamlet that developed near it became the first westward community post of the French and Indian War. The fort, which stood through the Revolutionary War, was located between Broadway, Chestnut Street, Second Avenue and the railroad. In the great history of the United States, Fort Vance is truly where the west began.
Erected by Coraopolis Historical Society.
Location. 40° 30.941′ N, 80° 9.698′ W. Marker is in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of State Avenue and School Street on State Avenue. Touch for map. Located at the Coraopolis Library. Marker is in this post office area: Coraopolis PA 15108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vance Fort (was approx. Count Noble / Mildmay Park Beauty (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mooncrest (approx. 1.6 miles away); Glenfield War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Dravo Corporation Shipyard (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Sewickley Post Office (approx. 1.9 miles away); Depreciation Lands Survey (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sewickley Public Library (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.