Lipscomb in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1922, a fire believed to be caused from lightning destroyed the building. The school district trustees immediately began discussions about a new school. J.D. Stevens Construction Company began work on the school in 1922 and classes started in the fall of 1923. While the new brick school was being built, classes were held in the church and in two rooms of the courthouse. The new Lipscomb School included four classrooms, two bathrooms, a library, office and a large auditorium.
The Lipscomb School had full enrollment with a high school and a grade school. Students participated in track, literary events, tennis, basketball and football. The last graduating class was in 1941 with six graduates. Students began to be transported by bus to nearby high schools and the Lipscomb School became a grade school. In 1975, as the population of the area declined, the school closed. The school is a testament to the value of education in this rural, farming community.
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17514.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lipscomb TX 79056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lipscomb Union Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lipscomb County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lipscomb, Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lipscomb Cemetery (approx. one mile away); St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away); Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell (approx. 15.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lipscomb.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.