Near Antioch in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
In 1904 the land was sold to coal field residents Leyshon and Lizzie Lougher whose family remained on the land until 1956. Leyshon used materials salvaged from structures in the abandoned coal mining town of Nortonville to construct the house located across the road. A sheep barn and baseball field were built where the park headquarters now stand. In 1977 Sidney Flats was purchased by the East Bay Regional Park District and became part of the Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve. The ranch house is currently used as the park residence.
Erected 2002 by E Clampus Vitus, Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No. 13 and the East Bay Regional Park District.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 58.289′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5175 Somersville Road, Antioch CA 94509, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Independent Mine (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mount Diablo Coal Field (approx. 0.9 miles away); Somersville Townsite (approx. one mile away); Greenhouse Portal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Riverview Union High School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Antioch High School Cupola (approx. 3.7 miles away); The McCoy Cook House (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Woman's Club of Antioch (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Antioch.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the park visitors center near the entrance to Black Diamonds Regional Park.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.