Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Perryton in Ochiltree County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Ochiltree Townsite

(Bordering this highway)

 
 
Ochiltree Townsite Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 16, 2016
1. Ochiltree Townsite Marker
Inscription. This county was created in 1876 and named for noted Texas jurist William Beck Ochiltree (1811-1867). In 1876 it was attached for judicial purposes to Clay and later to Wheeler County. In 1886 pioneers began to settle in dugouts here on the prairies near Wolf Creek, saying they lived "in Ochiltree." For convenience in making land and tax transactions, and establishing law and order, they organized the county in 1889, making their village the county seat. First elected officials were William J. Todd, county judge; Dave C. Kettell, sheriff and tax collector; George M. Perry, county clerk; Myrtle L. Daily, treasurer. In 1891 a 2-story courthouse was built (100 yds E) of lumber freighted from Dodge City, Kans. This also served as church, schoolhouse, and social hall for the town. By 1903, Ochiltree had 600 people, churches, a high school, a newspaper, bank, flour mill, and other facilities.

In 1919, the Santa Fe Railway founded a new town between Ochiltree and Gray, Okla., and induced people from both places to relocate by offering free lots. In 1919 steam engines and heavy equipment hauled the improvements from Ochiltree to the new site (8 mi. N), called Perryton, in honor of veteran county official George M. Perry.
 
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3663.)
Ochiltree Townsite Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 16, 2016
2. Ochiltree Townsite Marker

 
Location. 36° 16.854′ N, 100° 48.682′ W. Marker is near Perryton, Texas, in Ochiltree County. Marker is on State Highway 70 1.7 miles south of U.S. 83, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perryton TX 79070, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ochiltree Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sheriff James Sidney Talley (approx. half a mile away); Site of the Trading Post (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Blasingame Home (approx. 7.6 miles away); Colonel William B. Ochiltree (approx. 7.9 miles away); George Morgan Perry (approx. 7.9 miles away); Plainview Hardware Company Building (approx. 8.1 miles away); Ochiltree County (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perryton.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Ochiltree Townsite Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 16, 2016
3. Ochiltree Townsite Marker
View north on highway 70.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement