Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Griffin Civil Jail

 
 
Fort Griffin Civil Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
1. Fort Griffin Civil Jail Marker
Inscription. This structure was the jail used in the town of Fort Griffin near the United States Army post of Fort Griffin which defended the frontier from 1867 to 1881. During this period lawlessness was common in the town. Citizens built this thick-walled jail in 1878, although a conspicuous stone bears an earlier date. Gamblers, trail drivers, buffalo hunters, and skinners were frequently held here, as many as 18 at one time. Used as a cowshed after the 1880s.
 
Erected by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1987.)
 
Location. 32° 55.983′ N, 99° 13.737′ W. Marker is near Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on County Road 188 north of County Road 184, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Western Cattle Trail Crossings at Fort Griffin (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frontier Town of Fort Griffin (about 500 feet away); Fort Griffin Lodge Hall (about 500 feet away); Russell Young Gilbert (approx. half a mile away); Fort Griffin
Fort Griffin Civil Jail image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
2. Fort Griffin Civil Jail
(approx. half a mile away); Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin (approx. mile away); Family Forts, C.S.A. (approx. 0.8 miles away); Black Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
 
Also see . . .  The Post on Government Hill. From the Texas Beyond History website, an extensive web page with photos, illustrations, and maps of Fort Griffin, the town of Fort Griffin, and the Western Trail. (Submitted on April 5, 2016.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Original Location and Inscription of Marker
The civil jail building was moved from the Fort Griffin town site to Albany in 1954. The building was restored when it was placed at the city park near Avenue C and Railroad Avenue. The marker was installed next to the jail building in 1974 and originally read:

This structure was the jail used in the town of Fort Griffin located 15 miles north of here, near the United States Army Post of Fort Griffin which defended the frontier from 1867 to 1881. During this period lawlessness was common in the town. Citizens built this thick-walled jail in 1878, although a conspicuous
Town Site of Fort Griffin image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
3. Town Site of Fort Griffin
View to north along CR 188
Marker and jail on left (west) side of road
stone bears an earlier date. Gamblers, trail drivers, buffalo hunters, and skinners were frequently held here, as many as 18 at one time. Used as a cowshed after the 1880s the jail was moved here in 1954 by W. G. Webb and the county commissioners.

The jail building, along with the marker, was moved back to the Fort Griffin town site around 2004. At that time, two phrases in the marker were removed (indicated by the italic type above) to reflect its new location. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted April 5, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement