Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Headquarters of General William H. Harrison
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
General William H. Harrison - 1813
Here, in the War of 1812,
he directed the formation of
his army for the campaign
against the British, resulting
in the victory of the Thames.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 39° 57.625′ N, 83° 0.948′ W. Marker was in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker was at the intersection of West Broad Street (U.S. 40) and North Gift Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. Touch for map. This marker is missing from its location in front of the brick building located on West Broad Street that has been identified as being built on the site of General Harrison's War of 1812 encampment. Marker was at or near this postal address: 570 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Franklinton (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Franklinton Franklinton (a few steps from this marker); Lucas Sullivant Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology (approx. 0.4 miles away); “In This Churchyard…” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Franklinton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. In 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers,
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular type C marker, which is listed on page 70 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on April 7, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on April 7, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on April 7, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 7, 2016. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 7, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7, 8. submitted on April 20, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.