Danville in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Close Family Property
Historical Point of Interest
The property was purchased by James E. Close (1848-1904), who operated a blacksmith shop, in 1875. In 1907 it was opened as Close's General Store by Clarence W. Close (1879-1933). The first library was established here in 1913 by Lillian (Ramage) Close (1858-1935). The building also housed the first telephone exchange, the Odd Fellows Lodge and was the temporary location of the Alamo Masonic Lodge and San Ramon Valley High School.
Erected 1977 by San Ramon Valley Historical Society.
Location. 37° 49.363′ N, 121° 60′ W. Marker is in Danville, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Diablo Avenue near Rose Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Diablo Avenue, Danville CA 94526, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Danville Hotel Territory (about 500 feet away); San Ramon Branch Line (about 700 feet away); Danville Grammar School The Grange and Fraternal Hall (1874) (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Ramon Union High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); A.J. Young House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Alamo Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danville.
Also see . . . Historic Danville - Town of Danville. But what should the community be called? In an article years later, Dan Inman said "quite a number (of names) were suggested." He and Andrew rejected "Inmanville," finally settling on Danville. According to the modest Dan, the name was chosen as much or more out of respect for Andrew's mother-in-law who was born and raised near Danville, Kentucky. (Submitted on April 7, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.