Wheeler in Wheeler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Young and Bexar territories
Created August 21, 1876
Organized April 12, 1879
Named in honor of
Royal T. Wheeler
1810 – 1864
Associate Justice of the Supreme
Court of Texas, 1844-1858
Chief Justice, 1858-1864
County Seat, Mobeetie, 1879-1906
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 5779.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 35° 26.678′ N, 100° 16.345′ W. Marker is in Wheeler, Texas, in Wheeler County. Marker is on South Alan L Bean Boulevard south of East Oklahoma Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeler TX 79096, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wheeler County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Millie Porter House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wheeler Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles Mobeetie Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Old Wheeler County Jail, 1886 (approx. 10.6 miles away); Temple Lea Houston (approx. 10.6 miles away); Frank Willis, Sr. (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeler.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.