Near Pampa in Gray County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Pampa Army Air Force Base
Construction of the Pampa Army Air Force Base began in June 1942, under the direction of the Tulsa, Oklahoma office of the Corps of Engineers. Overseeing the initial stages of the operation was Col. Norman B. Olsen. Temporary offices were set up in the Rose Motor Company and Culberson-Smalling buildings in town. Col. Daniel S. Campbell became the commanding officer in September 1942, and within two months the first planes and aviation cadets had arrived.
The Pampa Army Air Force Base closed September 30, 1945, after just three years of operation. During that time 6,292 aviation cadets and 3,500 mechanics were trained. The base's safety record was one of the best in the U.S. Training Command during World War II. Despite a brief history, the base had a dramatic impact on the development of the Pampa area.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4870.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is on southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Pampa TX 79065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gray County (approx. 9.6 miles away); First Methodist Church of Pampa (approx. 11.5 miles away); Woody Guthrie (approx. 11.5 miles away); 1934 Pampa Post Office Building (approx. 11.5 miles away); Pioneer Cottage (approx. 11.5 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 11.5 miles away); Cottage Hotel (approx. 11.9 miles away); Miami Railroad Depot (approx. 12 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pampa.
Regarding Site of Pampa Army Air Force Base. As of 2012, the site is used as a cow dairy.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.