Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. John's German Cemetery
—— ｷ聞 ——
St. John's German United Evangelical Church
acquired this site in 1862 for its cemetery.
Black Rock pioneers including War of 1812
veterans, German immigrants who began
arriving in the 1840s, and their descendants
through the mid 1920s were buried here.
The cemetery was taken out of service
in 1977, and those interred here were
commemorated with a new monument in
Elmlawn Cemetery, Tonawanda.
Erected 1999 by Historic Pride Committee of the Black Rock-Riverside Neighborhood Housing Services, Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society.
Location. 42° 56.553′ N, 78° 53.514′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Military Road (New York State Route 265) and Lansing Street, on the right when traveling south on Military Road. Touch for map. Marker is about 100 feet north of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo NY 14207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Military Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Scajaquada Creek Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John's Church Jacob Smith House and Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jubilee Springs (approx. 0.7 miles away); Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad (approx. 0.7 miles away); Black Rock Harbor (approx. ｾ mile away); Market Square (approx. ｾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo.
More about this marker. The figure at the top of the marker is the Buffalo History Museum.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.