Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Paz Centro, León, Nicaragua
 

“The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral”

“Catedral Santa Maria de las Gracias”

 

—Estructura Colonial No 1 —

 
“The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral” Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, February 15, 2016
1. “The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral” Marker
Inscription. Edificada en el periodo 1525-1553. Sistema constructivo: paredes de ladrillo de barro y aplanado de tierra talpuja, su cubierta de techo fue teja de barro. Área actual 1,186.78 m2.

Fundada por el Capitán español Francisco Hernández de Córdoba, con el nombre original de Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Piedad.

En 1534 fue elevada al rango de Catedral de la Provincia, por Bula de su Santidad Pablo III, como Catedral Santa Maria de las Gracias, funcionando desde ese momento como sede del obispado de Nicaragua y Costa Rica.

En investigaciones arqueológicas realizadas en el Altar Mayor, año 2001, se encontraron las osamentas de los 3 primeros Obispos de Nicaragua y entierros precolumbinos.

Pie de dibujos: Plano de conjunto
Planta Arquitectónica

English:
Colonial Structure No 1
“The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral”

Built during the period 1525-1533. Construction system: clay brick walls and talpuja (white volcanic ash) coating, its roofing material was clay tile. Current area: 1,186.78 m2.

Founded by the Spanish Captain Francisco Hernández de Córdoba, under the original name of Our Lady of Mercy Church.

In 1534 it was elevated to the rank of Cathedral of the Province, under the name of Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral,
“The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral” Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, February 15, 2016
2. “The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral” Marker
The remains of the cathedral can be seen in the distance.
by Bull of Pope Paul III, functioning since that time as the seat of the bishopric of Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

In archaeological researches conducted at the High Altar in 2001, the bones of the three first Bishops of Nicaragua were found, as well as pre-Columbian burials.

Captions: Site map
Cathedral building plan.
 
Location. 12° 24.09′ N, 86° 37.011′ W. Marker is in La Paz Centro, León. Touch for map. The marker is at the Viejo León Archaeological Site, to the east of the town square.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Town Square" (within shouting distance of this marker); “The House of Ana Jiménez” (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Royal Road" (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Town Council” (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Palace of Governor Rodrigo de Contreras” (within shouting distance of this marker); "The House of Hernando de Soto and Hernán Ponce de León" (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); "The House of Martín" (about 120 meters away); "Unidentified" Colonial Structure No 11 (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Paz Centro.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement