Yellville in Marion County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
First County Seat
Marion County, created in 1835, was first named Searcy County. In 1836 its name changed to Marion by the first state legislature. That same year Yellville was laid out as a town and made the permanent seat of county government. The county was named for General Francis Marion.
Erected by Arkansas Centennial Commission, Arkansas History Commission.
Location. 36° 13.523′ N, 92° 40.914′ W. Marker is in Yellville, Arkansas, in Marion County. Marker is on East Old Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the old Marion County Courthouse building, near the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 East Old Main Street, Yellville AR 72687, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Double Turbine Water Wheel (within shouting distance of this marker).
Also see . . .
1. Marion County, Arkansas.
Marion County, located in north-central Arkansas, is Arkansas's 35th county and its first following statehood in 1836. (Submitted on April 11, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Marion County Court House.
1905 and 1943-44 structure erected with modifications from burned-out shell of (Submitted on April 11, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The Arkansas Sesquicentennial Celebration.
The Arkansas Sesquicentennial Celebration was a year-long event in 1986 commemorating the 150th anniversary of Arkansasís admission into the Union. (Submitted on April 11, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 11, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.