Fort Bliss in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Disturbances along the U.S.-Mexican border stemming from the Mexican Revolution (1910 - 1921) led to a string of outposts on the border with Fort bliss, as the nation's premier Army post along the border, the logistic and supply center for the Army's Mexican Border Zone. Fort Bliss' 1st Cavalry Division patrolled the border to deter bandits from crossing into the U.S. Since the horse was the best way of traversing the border's rough terrain, the the 1st Cavalry Division continued to patrol the border through the 1930s. Fort Bliss became the largest cavalry post in the U.S. and eventually the last active cavalry post in the U.S. Army.
This Wagon Scales Building was used to weight wagons carrying forage for the horses and mules supplied by Forage Yard No. 1. A Fairbanks weighting scale
Location. 31° 48.897′ N, 106° 25.794′ W. Marker is in Fort Bliss, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker can be reached from Marshall Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Building 1355 (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Expansion Period Group (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Expansion Period (approx. half a mile away); Mexican War Refugee Camp (approx. half a mile away); Initial Construction Period (approx. half a mile away); Historical Building 241 - The Guardhouse, 1893 (approx. half a mile away); Quarters 236 Sheridan (approx. 0.6 miles away); Joshua Micah Mills (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Bliss.
Categories. • Wars, Non-US •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 14, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.