First Air Mail Delivery Flight in New Jersey
On July 4, 1912, Aviator Oliver J. Simmons flew a Wright-Burgess Hydro-Aeroplane, owned by Robert J. Collier, publisher of Collierís magazine, from Perth Amboy to South Amboy. After landing on the water by the coal docks, Aviator Simmons received 1,250 pieces of mal from the South Amboy Post Office to be delivered to the Perth Amboy Post Office. After an unsuccessful attempt to take off due to heavy boat traffic, a path was made and at 12:30 p.m. the plane took off and flew across Raitan Bay and delivered the mail to the Perth Amboy Post Office.
After this flight a communication was sent to the mayor of Perth Amboy from Michael Welsh, Mayor of South Amboy. A portion of this communication is as follows: “The conquest of the air having been accomplished we much look for new worlds
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 40° 28.983′ N, 74° 16.783′ W. Marker is in South Amboy, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on South Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 South Broadway, South Amboy NJ 08879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old St. Maryís High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1950 South Amboy Explosion (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bluff: Witness to History (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Water Highway (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ambo Point (approx. 1.3 miles away); Elizabeth Lawrence (approx. 1.3 miles away); Kearny Cottage (approx. 1.3 miles away); Kearny Cottage: Historic Home (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Amboy.
Categories. • Air & Space • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.