Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Saint Phillips Monumental A.M.E. Church
Many great preachers have pastored this historic church. One was Bishop Henry M. Turner, a member of the state legislature during Reconstruction and a leader of the Back-to-Africa movement in Georgia, who pastored this church from 1870 to 1874. A storm demolished the church building in September 1896 and the Odd Fellow`s Hall was secured for worship until the church could be rebuilt. The General Conference meeting in Waycross in 1897 renamed the church St. Phillips Monumental A.M.E. Church. Memorial tablets in the church carry the names and dates of service of all the bishops in Georgia and all pastors serving this congregation since the church`s beginning.
On May 7, 1961, the Church moved from Hall Street to its present location at Jefferson Street and Park Avenue.
Erected 1978 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 025-91.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. British Evacuation (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Georgia Volunteer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Eighth Air Force (approx. 0.2 miles away); McKelvey-Powell Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Francis Bartow (approx. ¼ mile away); Lawton Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Lafayette McLaws (approx. ¼ mile away); Nina Anderson Pape (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,548 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.