Perth Amboy Barracks & Inventors’ Institute
In 1847 Dr. Solomon Andrews (1806-1872) established his “Inventors’ Institute” in the former Barracks. Here, in a specially constructed hangar, Andrews built and exhibited a prototype airship as early as 1849. It was from this site on June 1, 1863, that he made the world’s first fully-controlled flight aboard the unpowered dirigible Aereon.
After serving for many years as the city’s poor house, the Barracks were torn down in 1908 to make way for the Perth Amboy Grammar School.
This Historic Site Marker is a gift to the people of Perth Amboy from the Middlesex County Board of Chose Freeholders, 2013.
Location. 40° 30.743′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Mundy Peterson School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Market Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Washington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Surveyor General's Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); Record Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Polish Veterans of World War II, Post 40 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Earl of Perth (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perth Amboy.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.