Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Albany
†††††By 1882 a church building had been erected. Music lovers organized a cornet band. In 1883 an opera hall opened, and a permanent courthouse of native stone was built. Succeeding D.R. Britt as the school principal, W.S. Dalrymple founded an adult study club, “The Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle”.
†††††Albany had an academy, and then a college in 1898-1915. Local activities include ranching, petroleum production, small farming, and
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 879.)
Location. 32° 43.516′ N, 99° 17.851′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 180) north of S. 1st Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located along the Main Street sidewalk fronting Bank Park. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Battalion Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Ledbetter Picket House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Albany News (within shouting distance of this marker); Ledbetter Salt Works CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Central Railway Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The H.C. Jacobs House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Griffin Fandangle (about 600 feet away); Albany's First Public School (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Also see . . . Albany, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on April 19, 2016.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.