Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shackelford County's First Permanent Jail
†††††An early prisoner, John Selman, later killed notorious gunman John Wesley Hardin in El Paso.
†††††Superseded 1929 by a new jail, this became vault for archives (1940-68) of playwright Robert Nail.
Erected 1962 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4650.)
Location. 32° 43.394′ N, 99° 17.686′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from S. 2nd Street (State Highway 6) east of S. Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 S. 2nd St, Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Rye-Caperton House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Jack Shackelford (about 600 feet away); Shackelford County Courthouse Shackelford County War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Lt. General Robert Boyd Williams (about 600 feet away); Lt. Colonel William Edwin Dyess (about 600 feet away); Rear Admiral Emory Arden Grantham (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Regarding Shackelford County's First Permanent Jail. The building was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.