George and Christina Ealy House and Land
The George and Christina Ealy House is a testament to the prosperity of one of this area's early residents and the skills of mid- nineteenth-century craftsmen. In 1830, members of the Ealy family moved from Pennsylvania to a 73-acre parcel where the house and six-acre Resch Park surrounding it are located. The Ealys were representative of a second wave of pioneers who settled Plain Township after 1812. The Ealys cleared land for farming and operated a sawmill on Rose Run. George prospered and in 1860 built this fine brick house. Architecturally, the house exhibits the transition between Greek Revival and Italianate styles. Its layout reflects the former; its proportions and decorative detail, the latter.
George Ealy recorded the year of the house's construction, 1860. In his own hand in the attic. He also listed the names of the "work hands" who built the house. They include, as masons, a father and son named Schott, and two Beecher brothers as master carpenters. The Schotts were a German family who moved from Columbus to Plain Township in 1850. The Beechers came from Connecticut and settled in New Albany about the year the town was laid out, in 1837. The New Albany-Plain Township Historical Society acquired the house in 2004. The house along with the Resch Park was
Erected 2010 by New Albany-Plain Township Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 112- 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 4.945′ N, 82° 49.19′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Dublin-Granville Rd, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in Resch Park, Dublin- Granville Road is "Old St Rt 161". Marker is at or near this postal address: 6359 Dublin-Granville Rd, New Albany OH 43054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Disposal of Land in Plain Township (approx. half a mile away); The Sylvester Ranney House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Founders of New Albany (approx. 0.6 miles away); New Albany and Plain Township Veterans and First Responders Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wagnor Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Archibald's Mill (approx. 2 miles away); Smith’s Burying Ground : Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Central College Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.