Castle Church in Wittenberg
Schlosskirche (Castle Church)
In 1489 Elector Friedrich the Wise gave permission to construct a castle under the direction of architect Konrad Pfluger. In 1496 the construction of the Castle Church began. The consecration as All Saints Church was in 1503. In 1507 it became a part of the university and from that time on it has been used as an academic church as well as a lecture hall.
It is told that in 1517 Martin Luther posted his 95 theses on the door of the main entrance. The first Protestant worship took place here in 1524.
In 1760 during the seven-year-war the church burned down because of cannons being shot at it. The theses door as well as the interior was destroyed. In 1770 the church was reconstructed in a simple style. In 1858 King Friedrich Wilhelm IV donated a new bronze theses door.
Between 1885 and 1892 the church was redesigned in a new gothic style as a Memorial Church of the Reformation. In 1996 the Castle Church was designated as a part of the UNESCO world heritage.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michel Ney (within shouting distance of this marker); Olga Gebauer (within shouting distance of this marker); The Castle Gate, also called Coswig Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Jugendherberge (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilhelm Eduard Weber (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Wilhelm-Weber-Haus (about 180 meters away); Thomas Müntzer (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Johann Schneidewin (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
Also see . . .
1. Martin Luther - Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 13, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. All Saints' Church, Wittenberg - Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 13, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 23, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 6, 2016. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.