Sanford in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Sanford
Sanford first came into being as a community post office which was established on May 19, 1879. Around the turn of the century, Sanford had a period of progress that lasted for several years. The L&N Railroad had come through in 1901 on its way to Graceville, Florida, and in 1902, the Henderson-Waits Lumber Company began operations with a huge lumber mill. At that time, the town had several other business establishments including Woodham and Langston, S.D. Wiggins and Son, Jenkins Company, W.D. Day and a large commissary run by the lumber company. It was in this year, 1902, that the town was incorporated.
The original Sanford School building was a two-story wood frame structure that stood a short distance from this site. This old building burned in 1929. The next year a new five-room building was constructed on this location. Lon Cobb and Bob Wiggins secured the notes for the materials and local people donated the labor. John J. Wilson Sr. was principal at the time. In 1932, an auditorium was added. Three more classrooms were added in 1935. In 1947, a cafeteria was added. This addition was made possible through the efforts of the Sanford P.T.A. The school
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Sanford.
Location. 31° 17.988′ N, 86° 23.358′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of County Road 67 and U.S. 84, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Andalusia AL 36420, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rodney J. Evans (approx. 5.2 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away); Covington County War Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away); Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School (approx. 5.2 miles away); Covington County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 5.2 miles away); Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams (approx. 5.4 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. 5½ miles away); Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place (approx. 5½ miles away).
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Town of Sanford. (Submitted on April 24, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 24, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.