Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Poplar Hall

 
 
Poplar Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Poplar Hall Marker
Inscription. James Boulden the Elder and his family moved to Delaware from Maryland in the mid-18th century, amassing wealth and expanding their land ownership in Pencader Hundred as the century progressed. The two-story brick mansion house was built during this time period and is a strong representation of Georgian architecture. A service wing erected between 1800-1820 was added to the main structure and is a rare example of stone construction in this area. Five outbuildings situated on the property include a corncrib/granary, a smoke house, a dairy barn and stable, a milk house, and an open frame shed for cattle. In the 1820s, son James ran a diversified farming operation; growing corn, wheat and hay; raising cattle for beef and dairy; using houses and oxen to work the fields; and producing wool from sheep. During the 19th century the farm increasingly focused on dairying, producing milk and butter for the Mid-Atlantic urban markets. After son James' passing in 1826, the farm was left to his grate-nephew and namesake. Circa 1850, James Boulden III carried out substantial renovations to the mansion house incorporating several "Revival" styles, evident in the ornate woodwork and a reorganization of the interior space. The farm remained in the hands of the Boulden family and their descendants until 1918, when the sale of the property ended their 175-year
Poplar Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Poplar Hall
ownership. The architectural and agricultural importance of Poplar Hall was recognized when the property was named to the National Register of Historic Places on January 26, 1988.
 
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-203.)
 
Location. 39° 33.356′ N, 75° 46.47′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Denny Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3152 Denny Road, Newark DE 19702, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sgt. James P. Connor Memorial Circle (approx. 1.8 miles away); C & D Canal (approx. 2.4 miles away in Maryland); New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad (approx. 2.5 miles away in Maryland); Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Tablet (approx. 2.6 miles away in Maryland); C&D Canal Museum (approx. 2.6 miles away in Maryland); A Historic Hub of Commerce (approx. 2.8 miles away in Maryland); Long Bridge (approx. 2.8 miles away in Maryland); The Bayard House (approx. 2.8 miles away in Maryland).
 
Categories. AgricultureArchitecture
 
Poplar Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
3. Poplar Hall
Corn crib image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
4. Corn crib
Barn image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
5. Barn
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement