Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newark Passenger Railroad Station
Inscription. Designed by architect and engineer S.T. Fuller, the Newark Passenger Railroad Station was built in 1877 at a cost of over $9,000.00 by the Philadelphia, Willimgton and Baltimore Railroad (P. W. & B) to replace an earlier frame building. An article published in the Railroad Gazette on April 26, 1878 offered an extensive report on the new station, summarizing it as "very commodious and neatly designed..." Arranged brickwork, intricate wood trim, a slate roof with decorative iron scrollwork, and other Victorian details characterized the exterior. The interior of the two-floor building featured separate waiting rooms for men and women, an office and baggage room, kitchen cellar, bedrooms and a sitting room. Telegraph service provided by Western Union, commuter trains to Wilmington and Philadelphia, and a small freight station located across the tracks were among the services offered. The station developed into a main center of activity due to its important location at the junctions of the P.W. & B's line with both the Delaware Railroad and the Pomroy Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad. As a result, the city's expansion became concentrated towards its southern limits. In the 1970s, the station was closed and decommissioned by then-owner Amtrak; the City of Newark purchased the station in 1986. After securing grant monies, restoration
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Newark Passenger Railroad Station Marker
work began in late summer 1988 on the deteriorating station; improvements including renovating first floor ticket booths and ladies and men's waiting rooms, modernizing and rehabilitating upstairs offices, and rebuilding exterior "piazza" canopies. Newark continues to support and maintain the station, now home to the Newark Historical Society, to ensure lasting knowledge of the history within the community and as a focal point along its multipurpose trail system. The Newark Passenger Station was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Newark Passenger Railroad Station
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-206.)
Location. 39° 40.219′ N, 75° 45.179′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on S, College Ave.. Touch for map. Located below the overpass. Marker is at or near this postal address: 429 S. College Avenue, Newark DE 19711, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vic Willis (approx. ¾ mile away); New Century Club (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hiram Lodge No. 25 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Diamonds Walkway (approx. 0.9 miles away); Newark United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Deer Park Hotel (approx. 0.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.