Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Highway Headquarters

 
 
Highway Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 1, 2008
1. Highway Headquarters Marker
Inscription. General Robert E. Lee and his staff planned one of America's greatest battles at this site. Almost a century later the site began offering overnight accommodations to travelers coming to pay homage to their heroes.

Gutted by fire in 1896, the rebuilt house (owned by Clyde F. Daley) was converted to a souvenir shop and museum. Next door to "Lee's Headquarters," the home (owned by Eric and Sarah Larson) was converted to a tourist home. With the increased visitation to Gettysburg, especially for the 75th Anniversary and Reunion in 1938, Daley and the Larsons constructed cottages, two of many tourist camps that sprang up along the Lincoln Highway. Lee's Headquarters camp offered seven cabins. Each had a bath, shower, steam heat, and beds with innerspring mattresses for $1 to $4 a night.

In 1945, the Larsons purchased Lee's Headquarters property from Daley and over the years made numerous improvements. The resulting motel eventually became affiliated with the Quality Inn motel/hotel chain.
 
Erected by Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 50.114′ N, 77° 
Highway Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, June 25, 2009
2. Highway Headquarters Marker
14.751′ W. Marker was in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker was on Chambersburg Road (U.S. 30), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of the Quality Inn on the west edge of Gettysburg. Marker was in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery B, Fourth U.S. Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (about 300 feet away); 95th New York Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
More about this marker. On the left is a photo of Larson's Cottages in the 1940s; now Larson's Quality Inn, Chambersburg Road.
 
Also see . . .  The Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
Highway Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 1, 2008
3. Highway Headquarters Marker
(Submitted on June 3, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesWar, US Civil
 
"Gas Pump" Beside the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 1, 2008
4. "Gas Pump" Beside the Marker
The Daley House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 1, 2008
5. The Daley House
Long a placemark in Gettysburg, the Daley house became a museum and now is a visitor information center. At the time of the battle it was occupied by Mary Thompson, but the house was owned by Senator Thaddeus Stevens.
New artwork for 2011; left and front image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 12, 2011
6. New artwork for 2011; left and front
New artwork for 2011; right and rear image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 12, 2011
7. New artwork for 2011; right and rear
Gen. Robert E. Lee's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 19, 2014
8. Gen. Robert E. Lee's Headquarters
Gen. Robert E. Lee at his Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 19, 2014
9. Gen. Robert E. Lee at his Headquarters
Inside Lee's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 19, 2014
10. Inside Lee's Headquarters
The table seen here was used by CSA Gens. Lee, Longstreet, Early, Ewell, and Adj. Taylor during supper on the evening of July 1, 1863. The green chair on the left and the tablecloth on it were also in this room while Lee made it his headquarters.
Artwork missing image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, March 20, 2016
11. Artwork missing
Probably due to the demolition of the motel complex and the reconstruction of the Lee's Headquarters area, the gas pump was removed.
Highway Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, May 4, 2016
12. Highway Headquarters Marker
"Highway Headquarters" marker missing with the removal of the motel blacktop.
New home for the pump image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, September 9, 2016
13. New home for the pump
The pump has been relocated to Spring Avenue near the Federal Pointe Hotel.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,135 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2016, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos:   1. submitted on January 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on August 28, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.   3, 4, 5. submitted on January 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   6, 7. submitted on June 24, 2011, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   8, 9, 10. submitted on July 19, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   11. submitted on April 6, 2016, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   12. submitted on May 7, 2016, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   13. submitted on September 17, 2016, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement